The Policy Department has the following tasks:
- Development, preparation and communication of suggested measures for the optimization and further development in the use of bioenergy
- Creation and implementation of political strategies and campaigns
- Providing guidance for the legislative process in the area of energy policy
- Contact for representatives of the German parliament [Bundestag], members of the Federal Council [Bundesrat] and the federal ministries
- Coordinating the Berlin office for Bioenergy, an initiative of several German associations, i.e. Bundesverband Bioenergie e.V., Deutscher Bauernverband e.V., Fachverband Biogas e.V. and Fachverband Holzenergie e.V.
- Coordinating the cooperation with other associations
- Political media and public relations