ERGaR will establish an independent, transparent and trustworthy documentation scheme for mass balancing of biomethane (biogas upgraded to natural gas quality) and other renewable gases distributed along the European gas network. Thanks to the experience of the national registries the documentation system will enable cross-border trade of renewable gases via the European natural gas network while preventing double sale and double counting.
The injected biomethane gets blended with natural gas in the pipelines and the methane molecules of fossil and renewable origin cannot be differentiated anymore. Hence, mass balancing with appropriate documentation is the optimum solution to track the renewable fuel (biomethane) in the natural gas system.
In December 2017, ERGaR has applied for the recognition by the European Commission of such a system as a voluntary scheme in accordance with the Renewable Energy Directive, Fuel Quality Directive and other related legislative documents.
Structure of ERGaRERGaR consists of a Secretariat and an elected Executive Board. The Secretariat is based in Brussels and guided by the Secretary General, Mr. Attila Kovacs.
- President – Mr. Jeppe BJERG, Energinet.dk (DK)
- Vice President – Mr. Jan STAMBASKY, EBA (BE)
- Treasurer & Board member – Mr. Michael SCHMID, VSG (CH)
- Board member, Ms. Virginia GRAHAM – REAL (UK)
- Board member, Ms. Kristina HAVERKAMP – dena (DE)
- Board member, Mr. Marco MIDDELKOOP – Vertogas (NL)
- Board member, Mr. Marco PEZZAGLIA – CIB (IT)
- Board member, Mr. Guillaume VIRMAUX – GRDF (FR)
- Board member, Mr. Andreas WOLF – AGCS (AT)
The Executive Board is elected by the Members during the General Assembly. To find more information about the ERGaR Members click here.